Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Wisteria on the Way


Last week this Chinese wisteria was bare branches, this week the buds are setting up shop for a plush showing of leaves and blooms. I fantasize about training it to grow to my bedroom window, but seeing as we are on the third floor of the building, I may have to modify my desires. Still, I plan to put an eye hook at the top of my window and tie a rope to it, so if the plant is so inclined and able, it may climb up there after all.

A trellis over the French doors leading out to the garden may be a safer bet for the wisteria. I don't recall the cultivar name exactly, but Texas was part of it. I encourage anyone planting a garden to keep all labels so they can identify their plants as the years pass. My Japanese wisteria that sits in the middle of an area planted with bulbs and roses is pink flowered while this one is purple. Here are photos from last spring of both cultivars.

No comments: