Monday, March 24, 2008

Katy, What a Sweetheart!


I just love this photo, where the branch scars the fruit.

As long as I'm on the subject of the apricot tree, I may as well go into a bit more detail. The cultivar is called Katy and is good for areas that do not get much cold weather. It only needs 300 hours per year of weather lower than 45 degrees to set it's blossoms. The first few years there was no fruit at all. I was beginning to think I would never see any fruit on that tree, but in 2006 there were a few apricots that I wrestled from the birds. Last year the tree really went wild and was loaded with fruit. The fruit were plump and very large, looking almost like peaches. February's cold snap will definitely be a good thing for this particular tree. And, yes, the fruit does have a sweet heart, with just enough tang for the perfect apricot taste.

No comments: