Monday, March 24, 2008

Houston, We Have Lift Off

Surprise and delight awaited me in the garden last week. It seems that the first apricot tree to bloom did indeed get pollinated. It looks like a bumper crop too, if only I can keep the birds and roof rats from getting to them before I do. They are always one step ahead of me. Don't they know I'm supposed to eat the fruit on the lower branches? Or that it's impolite to take a bite from a fruit and leave the rest just hanging there?

I have a plan this year to get my fair share of the crop. It worked on the cherry tree last year. I'm taking one liter water bottles and cutting off the bottoms, then slitting up the sides. They fit around the branch like a sleeve and definitely keep the birds away from the fruit. Rats may be a bit more creative, when it comes to circumventing the sleeves, but we shall see.

No comments: