Friday, March 28, 2008

Cherry Tree Bursting With Bloom


Don't want to count my cherries before they're picked, but this is one full cherry tree, laden with blossoms. Only the lower more horizontal branches are in bloom this week, but the vertical branches are pregnant with potential (loaded with buds). I'm already collecting 1 liter water bottles to use for "sleeves" to cover the lower branches and keep the birds from carrying off my prized cherries.

Last year ravens started to discover our neighborhood and I caught them in the act of stripping my tree, fruit by fruit. They would fly right into it picking off the cherries one by one as they flew off and through the tree. It wouldn't be so troublesome if they'd confine their raids to the branches I can't get to, but they go for the lower limbs too.

Blossom fragrance is lovely, each fruit blossom is a light version of the fruit aroma itself. I wish someone would bottle cherry blossom or nectarine.

No comments: