Saturday, March 15, 2008

America...the Beautiful


Selecting this rose for the garden was a no brainer for me. It was coral, fragrant (slightly) and a climber. It was nestled into a far corner near the grapevine and is finally coming into its own. It has more new growth this year than I have seen before. I'm looking forward to its blooms this coming summer.
America is similar in appearance to Fragrant Cloud, another of my very favorite roses, and the first one I ever planted. Fragrant Cloud pictured above has more petals and much more fragrance because it's a hybrid tea rose. Planted just in front of America, it makes for a wonderful addition to that corner of the garden where I have also planted Carmella, a tulip in the same color range. Before the roses bloom, the tulips and nectarine tree blossoms are responsible for creating the color in that area. If I ever finish weeding that area, I'll post a photo.

No comments: