Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Importance of Weeding in Earnest


Normally I wouldn't be showing a photo of my garden in this condition, but the subject of weeding has to be dealt with by every gardener. Can you see the 5 foxglove plants in this photo? I thought not...I barely noticed them myself and I was weeding just in front of them.

This is the year they should flower, since they are bi-annuals. That means I must clear away any plants that will choke the life out of them like crabgrass, oxalis, and the various and sundry volunteer weeds that flock to my garden. If not, they will get so little nourishment, they will fail to create any blooms at all. I started the process by hand this morning, but those grasses need major surgery. I'll have to dig out their roots if these flowering plants are to have any hope. Not a bad start, you can clearly see 4 of them now.

No comments: