Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White


So went the title of a popular song in the late 50's, that was written by someone with no knowledge of botany. Last year my cherry tree outdid itself with thousands of blossoms, all white. I was giddy with the anticipation of all those potential cherries. The Pippin apple leafed out and produced pink blossoms that eventually turned white. It also produced a bumper crop of fruit that I was happy to graze on as I gardened.

In this first week of March, one apricot tree has already set its blossoms, while the other, a Royal Blenheim has just started budding. It had a difficult transplanting last year, so I'm hoping it is edging toward a full recovery this year. There seem to be quite a few buds, now if I can only get it pollinated. Our honey bee population is minimal this year, as it was last, but there's a beekeeper in the neighborhood about 4 blocks away, so chances are as optimal as they can be for a city garden.

The peach tree has blossomed and the miniature peach is starting to blossom as well. The miniature nectarine is bursting with buds, but they need a few more days of heat, before I can expect to see the blossoms unfurl.

No comments: