Thursday, March 6, 2008

Bulb Planting in the SF Bay Area


Planting bulbs for spring bloom in my garden started long before the hard scape had been finished. I regret that some fine bulbs may rest in peace under my brick patio. But the loss of some plants was ultimately worth the education I have earned. This photo shows a Pink Impression tulip, the mottled color indicates a virus and if it were in the ground, I'd be forced to rip it out to prevent the entire garden from eventually getting that same virus. luckily it's planted in a clay pot.

Never one to measure accurately (it's a good thing I don't bake), I found myself planting bulbs too deep under the soil. A bulb is normally planted to a depth equal to 3 times its height. Spring flowering bulbs that have to overwinter will never rebloom the following year in San Francisco, if that tried and true rule is applied. They will not get cold enough at a shallow depth, since the sun will keep warming the soil. I plant bulbs at a level of 6 times their height and have discovered through trial and error that this is perfect for our coastal climate.

Certain cultivars like French single tulips seem to rebloom better also. I have one tulip that has rebloomed each year for 10-12 years now, always in the right place but the wrong spot. It blooms where it was planted, but isn't working with other colors or plants that now occupy that area. Still I admire its stamina and leave it in peace. It's a frilly late single tulip, that started out red but has turned cerise over the years.

No comments: