Friday, March 7, 2008

Hugarian Bread Seed Poppy


Last spring I planted some Hungarian bread seed poppies, a light lilac poppy that stands about 3 1/2' tall, as I have done for the past 5 years or so. The poppy seeds from this cultivar are so rich and nutty tasting, that they seldom make it out of the yard into the kitchen. I saved the seeds and am planning on planting them soon in mass, so I can finally get enough seed to save some for baking.

This was the bonus I received last summer when my plants started flowering. I don't know if it was a sport of Hungarian Bread Seed Poppy or a mismarked plant, but the colors were so joyful it really didn't matter. I didn't save the seeds from the pods of this particular plant, so I won't be guaranteed another like it, but I'm happy to enjoy it again in these photos.

No comments: