Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A Rose Is A Rose


Just Joey is just one of my favorite roses, but the first one I think of when the subject of roses comes up. It's a typical hybrid Tea rose with a high center point and one rose per stem. The scent is strong and sweet while the color is a soft peach to apricot.

When I started the garden, the implementation of criteria became necessary, since the space was limited and I wanted so many lovely plants I was finding at the nurseries. Setting standards that each plant would have to meet was the best way to limit my selection of plants for the space. First I limited the color palate to purples, peach, apricot, and coral, my favorite colors, for anything that wasn't edible. Non edibles also had to have fragrance or another attribute that made them indispensable....like a strong architectural form, texture, or winter color. This system has served me well.

No comments: