Monday, September 29, 2008

Radicchio Flowers


When I first planted this radicchio from a small 6 pack I found at the nursery, I had great hopes for adding it to salads. By the time I harvested it, it was too bitter even for the most stalwart Italians who cultivate it specifically for the slight bitter bite it offers to salads and soups. I tried pulling them out and decided to forgo the pleasures of this particular plant. Evidently, their roots go all the way to China, because they popped up again this year, even though I had cut the roots down to 6 inches under the dirt. I like the way they emulate a rose in this photo and the speckles of burgundy color lend a cheery element to the lettuce bed, like confetti at a parade.


Not one to hold a grudge, this year I allowed them live and then die naturally in my garden. What I discovered during that process was their lovely blue flower, a rare and welcomed color in the garden. The plant went to seed after my harvesting of several flowers for salad. They offered just a hint of bitterness, that turned out to be an excellent counterpoint to the natural sweetness of the tomatoes; the bonus, unanticipated eye appeal. If they ever bolt faster, I can have a red, white and blue salad for Fourth of July.

No comments: