Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Portrait of Graham Thomas


It's no secret that I love David Austin roses, and own quite a few of his cultivars, but the most surprising attachment I have is to his yellow Graham Thomas. I have always disliked the color yellow; in the garden it reminds me of weeds. Practically every weed on record has yellow flowers...that must signify tenacity in the plant world. Why did I plant it...for sentimental reasons. My husband would bring me single yellow roses every time he saw me when we first met. He loves them and I love him and so I capitulated when he requested that I plant one. Perhaps it was King Alfred daffodils he wanted (he still has to wait on those), but I did plant a yellow flower and it was Graham Thomas.


When I shopped for our very first rose bush, I was told there would be no success with roses of more than 20- 27 petals in San Francisco. I looked at the lesser endowed roses and found very few attractive or even very interesting. Having little experience in the garden, it would seem logical to take professional advice, especially about plants I had never been familiar with growing up. I saw a Graham Thomas and tossed logic aside, bought the plant and placed it where it would get the most sun year round. It flourished and is seen by neighbors several gardens away from mine. This little 3 foot bush grows to 7 feet in San Francisco without much care at all. Every year I gather its honey scented petals to layer with sugar for use in preserves and baking. It's a "honey" alright!

No comments: