Friday, September 12, 2008

Weeds Are Sometimes a Matter of Perception


It never fails to amaze me that many plants we consider pests are actually edible. These dandelion greens were sharing space with my potted Eureka Lemon, and since I know they are perfectly edible, instead of ripping them out when they first appeared, I waited for them to grow. With a little patience and a tolerance for weeds (only if I can eat them) they turned into a nice element in a salad. Miner's lettuce, purslane, dandelions, and mustards are easily available to forage in our city and I intend to use what lands in my garden. Now, if I could only eat Bermuda grass and oxalis..... Here's a photo of my dandelion and lettuce salad with some wild arugula thrown in for good measure. The arugula was originally planted but often seeds in undesirable places. I cut it down to the roots after I am able to harvest some leaves for salads.

No comments: