Saturday, March 7, 2009

Orphans


Within what seemed like a short span of time, I lost both my aunt and uncle, my last living relatives in San Francisco. When their house was placed on the market, my cousin asked if I would like to take a few of their orchid plants as a memento. I'm not a big orchid fan, but my connection to these dear people was strong enough to overcome my indifference to cymbidiums. I took a few of them into my garden. With very little care they thrive and multiply as if to thank me for taking them in and helping them to survive. Each year they change just a bit, so I never know what to expect. This year they are particularly beautiful, but reminding me of departed loved ones is what I treasure most about them, as we were all orphaned by our loss. I also grow "flags" an old fashioned, fragrant iris from my mother's garden in Pasadena, and oregano from my grandparent's garden in San Francisco.

No comments: