Sunday, March 1, 2009

Negrita


Negrita is about as black a tulip as you can get, which means it is really a very deep burgundy color. It's also supposed to reach 18" tall and I'm not complaining when I say that these beauties exceeded that by 2" this Spring. Actually it was still Winter, but all our January and February heat made the bulbs think it was Spring. Since I buy 50 pack bulbs from Costco*, occasionally I plant bulbs that were not necessarily wanted, in order to get 25 of my first choice selection. I don't recall what other bulb accompanied Negrita home, but I'm glad they were paired together, because this one is a keeper and lasted for weeks in the garden. During a particularly blustery day, I cut them down for the house, because they didn't stand a chance outside. In the house they lasted over a week. For mid Spring bulbs, these preemies put on quite a show. They were planted in November, so had some time to develop strong roots. As is my habit, they were stored in the refrigerator for 8 weeks before planting with a tablespoon of bone meal for each bulb. I also stored late Spring tulips that I fear will not do so well, as some were planted in early January. I suspect I will learn a hard lesson this year.

*Although I do not think supporting big box stores is a good idea for gardeners, they do have some seductively low prices on bulbs. I fully support my local nurseries for trees, perennials and vegetable starts (with one exception concerning tomatoes that I will explain in another post). Big box stores bring in plants grown in locations that may not be suited for our climate, so I recommend supporting local nurseries that bring in items you will surely have success in growing.

No comments: