Wednesday, June 18, 2008

You've Got The Way To Move Me, Cherry....


Thank you, Neil Diamond, for the post title! Went out this morning and picked 6 1/2 pounds of cherries from my 3in1 cherry tree; not bad for only 3 branches worth. Patience is a virtue and one that pays off in spades for the urban gardener. This tree produced 1 fruit the first season, 2 fruits the second, and if I had been less patient, may have ended up in the neighbor's yard (the usual retirement spot for plants that do not perform well in my garden).
Thanks to the use of row covers this year, to keep the birds from feasting on these branches, the cherries are perfectly ripe and luscious, plump and juicy. Prior to that most of the undamaged cherries had to be picked early in order to successfully compete with the birds. Did I mention that a mocking bird was quite upset as he saw me picking "his" cherries? He usually dive bombs the other birds, but seemed satisfied just to squawk at me.

No comments: