Monday, June 23, 2008

You Can't Fool Mother Nature


This is my 5 year old 3in1 cherry tree earlier this year. During the first year I observed that the branches grew straight upward. It was not a shape that I liked, so I decided to try my hand at pruning to create the tree that I wanted from the tree that I had. A more pleasing horizontal shape was my aim and it was achieved, but at what cost? Since the tree had not fruited during the early years, it did not occur to me that there would be a problem with this lovely new shape.
Last year, with the full crop of cherries I noticed that the branches were decidedly drooped on the right side of the tree. This year it became apparent that continued weight of a heavy crop might actually harm the tree and potentially snap off a branch or two. What to do? Prune the right side shorter at upward facing buds and pray for a better outcome. Life is full of risks and this is one my former decisions have forced me to take. Moral: trust nature to make the best decisions; she's had more experience!

No comments: