Monday, April 7, 2008

Incubation Chambers

These 5 gallon water bottles are getting used in another experiment. They're covering the ground where I've set seeds. They'll be pulled off for watering, but will remain over the seeds until the seedlings pop up and are sturdy enough to withstand the onslaught of marauding insects that like to munch on the most defenseless of plants.

It's my hope, or theory that the cloches will increase the soil temperature and help the seeds to germinate in our chilly springtime weather. If I wait for the ground to warm up on it's own, my plants will not have enough time to grow well before the summer foggy season. So far the cloches over the tomatoes are proving my theory that they keep the plants warmer, but without plant transpiration involved, I'm not certain about the soil.

No comments: